Turn Down that Racket:
This song is in the season one finale of Friday Night Lights and is hauntingly beautiful. I sometimes listen to it on repeat…even if it is kinda a weird song.
A Picture is Worth 1000 Words:
So Parkside is having an international photo contest and I want to submit at least one photo…here are two considerations.
Looking Back, Looking Forward:
Well Jury Duty sure was fun! The case was a Boating DUI case. It was fascinating for me to see the behind the scenes workings of the justice system. The judge was really interesting as well. He was very patient with both of the lawyers because there were a million and a half objections because apparently there were a lot of evidence that was not allowable in court so us, as the jury, couldn’t know any of it. It was also very hard as the jury to actually convict the defendant. It wasn’t a question of if he was drunk at the time, but if he had operated the boat or not. Basically when the police pulled him the boat over another girl was driving it and panicked and couldn’t figured out how to stop it so the defendant reached behind her and pulled the throttle into neutral and turned the boat off. As much as it pained me to do so, we found him guilty. I want to find out what the sentencing ended up being. Anyone know how?
Coming up this week…hmm…not a whole lot. I am going to Dayton on Friday to visit my sister! I haven’t seen her new house yet at school and I’m really excited! Possibly seeing Dayglow when I’m down there. Definitely eating sushi and attempting to relive college. Maybe I’ll make one of these: 15 New Drinks. I miss Water St….
Side note: This is hilarious – Where the Fuck Should I Go for Drinks?
An Apple A Day:
So everyone who has to sit at a computer all day hates it right? I know I do. Its so terrible. My posture has become horrendous and I am so antsy by the end of the day that all I want to do is scream! Here is one way you can help with it: 6 Ways to Stay Active at Your Desk. Or you can sit on an exercise ball. I’m thinking about it!
Fashion Fades, Only Style Remains:
Hermes scarves are beautiful and tres francais. I want all of them. I want a husband who gives me one for every birthday and christmas…for all 50 years of our marriage. Do this, and we’ll last. Anyways, these are a slightly less amazing way to wear your Hermes scarves – Hermes Meets Vans. Like what? I want them! Someone pay for my Hermes scarves…
Just Can’t Stop:
Baby talking to my dog. Some people look at me funny, but I don’t mind. She’s a sweetheart and she understands me. This article proves it: Dogs Understand Us Better Than Chimps Do.
In the Kitchen:
Once again, Dori comes through with a great new recipe! Below is her Greek Meatball Recipe as reported straight from her:
“okay DONC the meatballs: chop up onions, garlic, and mix them together with the meat (beef, turkey, lamb)…add some mint, parsely, feta cheese, salt, pepper, herbs de provence and lemon juice….also, at the end, add an egg for consistency…also you can roll them in bread crumbs…..soooo you can do them on the stove or the oven, then i had it with a side of whole wheat penne…but orzo would be so good”
And the other recipe for today is a cheesy, oozy, guacamole bean dip from Alicia Silverstone. I haven’t tried it yet, and I will probably make it with regular cheese instead of vegan, because lets face it, vegan cheese is just nasty.
- 1 (16-ounce) can refried beans
- 3 large avocados
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 (8-ounce) containers nondairy sour cream
- 1 packet taco seasoning (I use Bearitos, but if you are avoiding all white sugar, make your own mix with chili powder, ground cumin, onion powder, hot paprika or cayenne, and salt)
- 1/2 cup diced mild green chiles, drained
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives, or more if you like
- 5 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups shredded vegan Cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread a layer of refried beans in the bottom of an 8 inch by 8 inch quart glass baking dish.
- Pit and peel the avocados, and place in a bowl.
- Mash the avocados together with the lime juice, and spread on top of the refried beans.
- Stir together the sour cream and taco seasoning, and spread over the avocado.
- Sprinkle the chiles over the sour cream, and top with a layer of black olives.
- Add the tomatoes, and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Heat the dip for 15-30 minutes or until heated through and the cheese is a bit melted.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.